Go to content

PD,lawful certyficate,planning permision


The permitted development is the right given to home owners by The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995.

Permitted Development rights (PD) give you the right to develop your property without the need for planning consent. Unfortunately, the rules for Permitted Development can be complicated and difficult to understand. In addition there is a limit depending upon the type of property and proposed development. We will be happy to advise you about your PD. One may find more information on the planning portal http://www.planningportal.gov.uk. It should only be used as a guide and further advice is recommended.

PD is not always recommended as it may be more beneficial to apply for planning permission to unlock the true potential of your home.

Please note that flat owners do not have the right to PD. In a conservation area or where an article 4 has been applied, the PD may be restricted.

Lawful Development Certificate

As mentioned above Permitted Development is not always clear-cut. If you are concerned that your proposed development is not protected under PD, or if you plan to sell your property shortly after the renovation is completed, you may consider applying for a Lawful Development Certificate stating that your intended development is done with your council’s approval.

Planning Permission

You may choose to apply for planning permission. This could be useful if you already used your PD rights or you live in a flat where you have no permitted development rights. In these cases you have to apply for planning permission from the council.

Things to consider

  • Permitted Development- What is being affected by the works?
  • Services – Do you need to change any of the services before works start?
  • Boiler – If you are doing an extension the boiler needs to work harder to heat the extra area, is it up to the job?
  • Bathrooms – If you are adding a bathroom is your boiler sufficient, and is your tank sufficient to cope with the extra demand.
  • Party Wall act 1996 - the works may fall under the party wall act. Elevations will assist you through the process of the party wall act.

next page

Home Page | Design | Basements | Extensions | Lofts | Refurbishments | Plumbing & Electrics | Landscaping | About us | Site Map


Back to content | Back to main menu